July 16, 2010

Don't Let Other "Khans" Appear

Country of Origin: Indonesia

Topic: Interfaith Relations

Dear Mr. President,

We all know that 9/11 has left a deep wound in every American’s heart. United States of America under Bush administration then declared global war to terrorism. Unfortunately, it is somehow associated with Islam. This has made interfaith relations in the world that has been worse before the incident even worse.

The latest movie “My Name Is Khan” depicts it in its story. Khan is a victim of character assassination regarding his religion which is identified as basis for terrorism. Although it is a fiction, I believe it is not impossible that it is actually also happened in reality.

Indonesia, and also other member countries in ASEAN, is still struggling to battle terrorism in all forms. Regrettably, many of us are still getting the wrong idea about where terrorism has roots in, that is, Islam.

Although I am not a Moslem, I believe that every religion, including Islam, does teach good things to its believers. It is just how the way they interpret it which determines how they take actions. Terrorism actually arises from people who have wrong interpretation about the tenets in their religion. United States of America, which we perceive as a superpower country, must have an important role in taking care of interfaith relations in the world. What United States of America do in every single thing that affects interfaith relations locally, regionally, or even globally will have great impact to other parts in the world.

I do hope United States of America under your administration can give positive impact to interfaith relations. I look forward to your brilliant slogan “Change, we can believe in” also works to adjust this matter. Starting from now, together we change our mind that what we must combat is terrorism, not religion(s). This will have great impact to interfaith relations in world indirectly.

ASEAN as one of your potential partner in economy and other core issues should be your partner also in taking care of this interfaith relations matter. It is simply and also greatly because ASEAN comprises of countries with rich culture and various religions in it.

Don’t all of us want to live in peace and harmony? I do want it and I believe you also do.

I do believe in positive change and since I am an ASEAN youth, I do also believe in both of us, United States of America and ASEAN standing as one partner in making this region and world better place to live.

Just like the lyrics in “My Name Is Khan”, “WE SHALL OVERCOME!”

P.S. This letter was published at aseanvoices.org on 3rd May, 2010 and sent to the White House with other letters as a message from ASEAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts as well... :)

The Readers

Visits

click me to reveal the contact form

Get in touch with us:

Name

Email *

Message *

We're currently under construction!

We`re working hard and believe we`ll launch the website in: